Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Fifteen Fun Years


The Pond is 15 years old this year. It began as a “I need a project because the garden has become boring” thought. That thought took on a life of its own. In two months I located, dug, dug, and dug some more, researched, moved shrubs, laid liner and laid stones; everything a novice needed to learn by actually doing.

To say The Pond has been a life changer is an understatement. It's my Eden, my sanctuary when life gets too much and I need a reprieve. There's a serenity about it; calm water with orbs floating around blown by the summers breeze; bird and frog songs are the only sounds; and plants every shade of green on this earth.

It has taught me how to create a safe haven for the wild that take residence in and around it. Frogs of every shape and shade, and toads. One summer I was blessed to find a young snapper floating in it. To think she walked from the river, crossed a busy street, probably fended off a few cats, and settled in startled me, and humbled me. She was returned to the river and bid safe journey.

I have woken sleeping frogs in spring while cleaning it. Who knew they hibernated in the sand! I didn't. So its also become a teacher and me its enthusiastic student. It has also taught me to enjoy just being. With a journal in hand I can sit for hours scribbling my thoughts, feelings, views, if you wish, my ponderings. It enabled me to self publish a book during this time. Something I would never have thought of before.

This special anniversary year I intend to post a few of the residents that never became famous. Starting with this one shot last October, wrapped in leaves warding off autumns chill. Perhaps we'll meet in spring when it awakes.




2 comments:

  1. I love this! 15 years and a wonderful home for frogs! ... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been and I have a whole new appreciation for them and their contribution to the environment. It's been an awesome learning experience.

      Delete

Don't be shy. I know you've popped by :)